The words beauty and mess couldn’t be further apart from one another but somehow they can manage to co-exist. They are two words that remind us how life can show up or better yet, how you can show up in life and find beauty in the mess.
Life sure has a way of showing up. It’s so easy to appreciate life when everything is good and falling into place. You feel the rhythm and ride the waves. You are able to fully experience and savor these moments.
But life or doing life, as I like to call it, is about embracing all the moments. This includes the moments that stretch you, allow you to experience discomfort, or bring on the biggest messes.
In these moments, especially in the mess, it feels like you want to run away from it all. It’s so easy to wish away the doubt, confusion and all the questions. That would be the easy thing to do. Push everything away under a carpet so you don’t have to see or feel any part of it.
Doing life requires you to fully step into the mess and embrace whatever comes your way. It’s about accepting the mess and all the imperfections that life has gifted you. It is you being fully present, feeling all the feelings, and trusting the unknown.
As I am currently navigating my own messy moment, I am practicing what I preach: choosing the courage to do life. This messy moment, which I will share more about in a later post, is requiring me to fully step into the mess, go within, feel it all, while having faith it will work out for my greater good. This doesn’t mean the process is an easy one or will always be smooth. Doing life and doing life in a way that allows for soul expansion is never easy, but if you can begin to see doing life as a gift, it can begin to reveal the beauty in the mess.
Finding beauty in the mess is always there for you. You just have to be willing to do the deep soulful and healing work it takes for the mess to be revealed in its most beautiful form.
Five Tips to Help You Find Beauty in the Mess
So, how do you find beauty in the mess? Here are five tips to help you:
- Pause: take time to get still and go within. Get quiet to listen to the messages waiting to be revealed to you. Meditate, pray, get silent; whichever one most resonates with you. You can also do a combination of all three to help you go deeper within.
- Breathe: I am a big believer in breathing. When dealing with a messy moment, you can often feel out of sorts. Taking time to breathe allows you to re-center and regulate your nervous system. There are some great benefits to deep breathing and you can read more about it and learn some exercises here.
- Journal: Journaling is a great way to release all that you are feeling or experiencing. You don’t have to write full pages. Just write whatever comes to mind. It can even be short sentences or paragraphs. You can also just write simple words or phrases that connect to your moment. I created a choose courage daily journal that can help you in journaling your messy moments. You can purchase it on Amazon.
- Gratitude: I know you hear me talk about gratitude a lot, but this is a practice I have been fully stepping into. I have a sign in my kitchen that says: There is always something to be grateful for. I truly believe this at my core. It may not always be easy, but gratitude can always be found in even the messiest moments.
- Be Open: The messy moments show up even when you are not ready to receive them. If you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities and ask the question ‘What is this here to teach me?, your own beautiful mess may be revealed to you. Now, this may not happen overnight, but if you choose the courage to do life, your questions will always be answered.
Here’s to doing life and here’s to a beautiful mess!
In Love and Courage,